Friday, July 1, 2016

Lake Studies: A Giant Aquatic Salad

After learning proper canoeing technique with Chad and Brian, we embarked on a botanically-oriented tour of Sugar Lake. In the shallow water of the lake, there were a plethora of submerged aquatic plants. Brian, shown below, taught how to identify some of the more common native species like Coontail and Large Leaf Pondweed, as well as some invasive species, such as Eurasian Watermilfoil and Curly Leaf Pondweed. We also learned about Fragrant White Water Lily (several of us actually smelled the flower, which in my opinion, had a beautiful aroma),  Pickerelweed, and Spadderdock. Spadderdock, by far, was my favorite plant, as the flower of the plant looked otherworldly. All in all, this was my favorite Creek Camp activity, because it really opened my eyes to an area of botanical diversity that I did not even know existed.

     

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yay, aquatic plants. Glad that you're enjoying your creek experiences!