Monday, July 19, 2010

Green Allegheny


Today we went on a tour from Green Allegheny, a program that makes "Green!" changes to the campus. My favorite part of the tour was the Green Roof. This is a beautiful garden on top of the Vukovich Center for Communication Arts. This garden helps attract sun to the building in the winter to warm it up without using a heater. We also saw the herb garden, this is green because you don't burn fossil fuels in going to the store and buying herbs because you already have them. On the tour we saw many ways to help drain rain water. One way is on a hill side there are flowers, hte plants roots help drain some water from flooding the storm drains. Also the pavement had cracks to drain the water. I never knew there were so many ways to make things green.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

OK, I love this idea. Did you learn how to make one at home? I would love you to make me one. What herbs do you have in there?